Monday, December 5, 2011

Liberal Arts Education

Before this week, I had never really considered the greatness and rewards of a Liberal Arts Education. I had always thought of it as ho-hum...and maybe even been a little jealous of my friends who didn't have GE's because they were in Engineering School, or Business School.  But, after reading the following as well as the St. Olaf booklet, I think differently.

From L.W. Boe's letter to President Acheson and friends of Macalester College:

"The Liberal Arts college is American to the core, but at the same time has been, more so than any other type of institution, world-wide in its interests and outlook.
In the making of America, in that wonderful chapter which covers the moving of the frontier across the continent, the Christian Liberal Arts college has had its big part.  It was not far behind the hunter and the trapper, a missionary, not only for religion, but for culture in its deepest sense.  It was the bearer of civilization.  Into its halls came the uncouth sons and daughters of the pioneer.  Out of it went a generation of consecrated, Christian leaders that helped shape the character of the nation.  To the pioneer it brought a religious and cultural content and reality and helped shape the instrumentalities and forms that should be the bearers of the civilization he wanted to plant here.  The history of this great Middle West barely covers a hundred years, but brings before our eyes a moving picture of life and action the likes of which no other nation or time can produce.  The pioneer was not only the bearer of civilization.  He had to make and create the machinery for it as well."

So, through a liberal arts education, we become the machinery of America.  We become the machines that keep America functioning as a whole.  I guess the well-roundedness of my education will be a great asset, and will keep my "machine wheels" turning and working throughout my life -- because not only have I learned information, but I have learned HOW to learn -- and I will keep learning my whole life.

1 comment:

  1. I loved what you said yesterday in class about "hands becoming thinkers" - it's important to not just be a cog in the machine, but to think about what the machine's doing as well. reminds me of Thoreau's Civil Disobedience: "Let your life be a counter-friction to the machine!"

    ReplyDelete