Monday, May 2, 2011

Here we are 10 years later...

        Well, here we are 10 years later, celebrating the justice served to a man who deeply hurt our country.  I am proud and thankful to everyone who was involved in the process of finding Bin Laden, because I think it gives closure to many Americans, especially those who lost loved ones in 9/11. 
        There is reason to celebrate because we have gone one step further in our war on terror, and this was a great feat.  However, part of myself can't help thinking that there is something a little wrong with rejoicing over another human being's death, no matter how evil he was.  This was one of my friend's facebook status (they were quoting one of their family members):  
"'I keep thinking of how awful it was to hear that there were people actually celebrating 9/11. Now I turn on the TV and see the same thing.' -quote from family member of man who died in WTC"
And here was a facebook status of a different friend of mine:  
"It is a shame that the greatest joy that can come to the people of my country is the death of another human being. Until this changes, nothing has been resolved."
        These quotes by my friends really say it all for me.  I find myself being torn between being happy that this 9/11 conflict finally has closure 10 years after the fact, and between being concerned that my country is celebrating the death of another human being.  Quotes such as these, that say Americans are rejoicing in another's death means nothing has been resolved...is that what terrorism and war have brought on our country?  Wanting death to happen to others?  I realize that this can be a stretch...I am really just letting my thoughts roll. And I don't really have an answer for the questions I ask myself about how I feel about Bin Laden's death...but I do know that I am torn between rejoicing and being concerned.  I guess I'd have to agree with my friend -- Yes, this is a milestone for our country, but nothing has been resolved if we can rejoice over the death of another human being.  

No comments:

Post a Comment