Friday, September 9, 2011

Statue Of Liberty Poem

The following is my poem from in class today:

The stone and structure unrelenting
A body standing strong
Harkening to the people from the pedestal
That there will be victory for those beaten on
And with a torch lifted high
As a symbol of hope for the lost
The statue stands tall
Symbolizing freedom for all

Poetry is something I am never quite sure about.  When I was younger, I wrote a lot of poems as a way to express myself.  But eventually I stopped.  I was actually quite good.  When Mary first asked us to write a poem out of the words we chose, I froze up and got scared.  I doubted myself that I could come up with something, or that anyone in the room could come up with anything really good.  But I was wrong!   I found meaning in my own poem and in all the poems everyone created.

My poem was more of a hopeful one.  It expresses what the majority of people believe it symbolizes: hope, freedom, victory.  Having something concrete to believe in is very important...I think that how the Statue of Liberty seems to possess this kind of hopefulness for the lost.  It will take in the poor and the weary.  Does that still hold true for America today?  Do we help out the poor and the weary?  I think it could be argued both ways, but I also know that I believe it is our civic duty to help the needy.  To give to others who have nothing.  To put the symbol of hope into action and give others a hope for a better life here in America.    

No comments:

Post a Comment