Saturday, September 10, 2011

Why is this place so wonderful?

            I’m currently sitting outside with some of my best friends here at Olaf.  We’re doing homework, reading, etc.  I’m laying in the grass, looking it up at the sky.  The leaves on the trees block the sun enough, but yet it’s rays still try to come through.  I see green, blue, yellow, orange.  I hear laughter.  I feel like I am in bliss.  
           It makes me wonder if everyone here, or even at other colleges, feel this way about their college.  I love being here.  Even more than I loved it last year. When I stop and look around, when I become aware of the moment I am in, I am in awe of how good I have it. I am in awe of how wonderful the world is and how much potential all of us have here.
           I have a little quote that I try to live by -- it’s by Abe Lincoln, but I’ll put it in simpler terms here:  “You’re only as happy as you make up your mind to be.”   And I know that’s a hard thing to do.  Not to say that it's a bad thing to have emotions and be sad.  But there's a difference between being sad every once in awhile, and being just a glum, unhappy person 24/7.  There are so many people in this world who have chosen to not be happy.  But what I know is that it’s so much more preferable to choose to be happy.  I know I can spread my happiness with others, that I can make others’ lives better because of my attitude about life, and I know, without a doubt, that we are beyond lucky to have a place like St. Olaf to be at.  As I've said....I'm in bliss!

1 comment:

  1. Steph, This post is so well aligned with two I'd made today that I've re-posted you on my blog. LDL

    ReplyDelete