Sunday, November 13, 2011

Nature in My Antonia

From My Antonia when Jim is sitting in the middle of his grandma's garden:
"I kept as still as I could.  Nothing happened.  I did not expect anything to happen.  I was something that lay under the sun and felt it, like the pumpkins, and I did not want to be anything more. I was entirely happy.  Perhaps we feel like that when we die and become a part of something entire, whether it is sun and air, or goodness and knowledge.  At any rate, that is happiness; to be dissolved into something complex and great.  When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep" (12). 

Nature is often what brings me peace. If I am having a hard day, am upset, or just need to be alone, I almost always seek out nature. I like feeling like I am small -- the universe is so much bigger than I.  It is in nature that the world feels okay - I know am okay...I experience "enough", aka happiness.

I feel like the novel has a kind of curiosity intensity; the character is exploring both mentally and physically his new surroundings.  Jim at one point compares trees/treats trees as humans. His openness and compassion for nature is a ongoing theme in the text.

One night as he is looking up at the stars, Jim says, "though we had come from such different parts of the world, in both of us there was some dusky superstition that those shining groups have their influence on what is and what is not to be.”  (in reference to Antonia).  He appears to be a deeper character who is exploring his beliefs on fate, nature, and himself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment